Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Trooper

This morning our school opened up the classrooms to parents who were invited to come along and observe their kids during their lessons. Many subjects were on display, including several that we teach. Daniel had a particularly busy morning with open lessons in PE, English and Nature Studies. My day was a little cruisier - I helped Ili out with a Grade 1 English lesson, then took my Grade 2 English class, and finished up with Grade 1 drawing. 

My first lesson with Ili went off without a hitch. This is the norm in Ili's lessons as she's always super organised. Unfortunately my Grade 2 lesson was a bit of a fizzer. I thought it would be a good idea to show the parents what a "normal" English lesson looks like, rather than a jazzed up performance for their benefit. Unfortunately this resulted in things being pretty boring and well, just kind of painful. It was especially awkward when I gave the kids a worksheet based on a story we first encountered only a few days ago. It seems that I overestimated their ability and many (perhaps even most) of the kids in the class struggled to complete the work. A roomful of confused kids was not exactly how I had hoped to impress the parents!!

Luckily, I bounced back and had a pretty fun drawing lesson with my Grade 1s. I even roped the parents into helping their kids to complete the project. It was hilarious watching as slowly but surely each of the parents took over their child's work and got right into creating beautiful crepe paper Easter eggs. 

Speaking of bouncing back - or perhaps not bouncing back - Daniel managed to injure himself quite badly this afternoon. He was outside playing football with the Grade 3s and from what I understand, decided that it would be a good idea to get the ball off another player by jumping on it. Of course this didn't work and Daniel took a massive tumble. He ripped open his knee and also seriously sprained his arm. Apparently all the girls in Grade 3 rushed to assist him. I assume the boys just kept playing football. While he's in a fair bit of pain at the moment, I think Daniel is actually rather pleased that in the future he'll be able to boast about his old "football injury", rather than the much less impressive "netball injury" that he is currently limited to.

Oh well, at least Iago thought it was funny.

- Amanda

PS. Daniel has asked me to change the description of how he came about his "football injury" as he doesn't think it's accurate. I stand by my story. If you want to hear Daniel's much more heroic, but also much less plausible story, then please feel free to hassle him for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment