Friday, June 8, 2012

First last and a new first

Yesterday morning I taught my last class in Mátészalka. Because it was the final lesson, I tried to keep things fun - lots of singing, dancing and drawing. When the lesson was over, it was the strangest feeling walking out of the classroom and knowing that I wouldn't ever be back. As I drove away from the school, I was very aware that I'd probably just experienced the first of my teaching lasts. 

Next week is the final week of school for the kids here in Máriapócs. Daniel and I aren't working on Monday or Tuesday and the kids finish school early on Friday, so we really only have 2.5 teaching days left. After that, we'll only see the kids one more time to hand out their reports. It's making me very sad even thinking about it, so I'm going to change the subject!

A few weeks ago we asked one of the local priests whether we would be able to climb the famous Máriapócson church to take some photos of the town from its highest vantage point. He was happy to help us make the arrangements, and so yesterday afternoon Daniel and I got to climb one of church belltowers. I was too wussy to make it to the top (suspended ladders and creaky wooden platforms really aren't my thing) but Daniel toughed it out and soon found himself sitting on the roof! If you look at this photo of the church, you can see four columns at the top of each tower. Had you been in Máriapócs at 4:30pm yesterday, you would have seen Daniel sitting in between the columns on the left-hand tower. There was no safety barrier, just a small space of approximately four square metres with a great view of the surrounding area. It was awesome fun...well apart from the fact that I was waiting for Daniel right next to the tower bells when they began to chime at 4:30pm and then again at 4:32pm. They were amazingly loud even with my fingers plugging my ears!

 - Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment