Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Interesting Hungarian word #6 = Szilveszter

This week has been pretty unevenful, apart from some excitement on New Year's Eve (which is known as Szilveszter in Hungary). Daniel and I went out for dinner, played some darts, then came home at about 11pm to count down the final hour of 2011. We'd been warned a day earlier that a big party would be taking place at the house next door and it was in full swing when we arrived home. Lots of sullen looking teenagers were milling around outside and loud music could be heard from inside the house. Every now and then impressive bangs could be heard from fireworks being set off in our garden. Iago thought it was awesome and quickly abandoned Daniel and I to join the party. Some of the partygoers (our colleagues) also came over to our house and we shared our first palinka shots of 2012 with them. All in all, a great night, even though it took three days to get the thumping dance music out of my head!

As I said, the rest of this week has been pretty quiet, but I wanted to write a quick blog entry today so I could link to an interesting news article that I found last night. Basically it summarises some of the disturbing politically driven changes that have been occurring in Hungary over the last 18 months.

Check it out at:

- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment