Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's great being a woman

This morning Daniel and I turned up to work and lots of the children immediately began to present me with flowers. I was completely baffled and couldn't work out what was going on. Was it my name day again? Or had the kids just really, really missed me when I wasn't at school yesterday (due to attending the Busójárás)?  

I was even more confused when I noticed that some of the kids were wandering around with flowers that they weren't giving to me. How dare they! Didn't they know that it might be my name day or whatever? Luckily, before I embarrassed myself by wrenching their flowers away from them, our colleague Ili explained that the flowers were gifts from the students for all female teachers in celebration of International Women's Day.

Ohhhh....

This afternoon the school is also putting on an afternoon tea for the staff to commemorate 100 years of this  global event. I'm expecting lots of homemade cakes, biscuits and pálinka. Awesome.

With all the flowers and food that International Women's Day seems to generate, I think I'll be adding it to my calendar from now on.

- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment