Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me?

Yesterday Daniel and I received a package from my dad containing all our mail that he has kindly been collecting for us since we left Australia. While most of it was fairly mundane stuff, there was one letter that was a bit special. In fact, it was such a special letter that I had been eagerly awaiting its arrival for the last 12 years! And possibly even longer.

Yes, as you may have guessed (or maybe not), it was a letter from the Juries Commissioner's Office advising me that I had been selected for jury service.

I have wanted to be on a jury for as long as I can remember. I know that lots of people think it's a pain and try to get out of it, but I have been willing them to pick me for jury duty ever since I first enrolled to vote in 1998. But now that the good people at the JCO have finally decided to pluck my name off the electoral role, I can't do it because I am not even in the country anymore. SO ANNOYING!!!

Anyway, after sobbing myself to sleep last night, I have decided to contact the JCO tomorrow morning to find out if there is any way that I can defer my jury service until I return to Australia. Hopefully they will say yes and my dream will remain intact.

Until then, I must distract myself by taking even more photos of Iago. Here is one I took today of him curled up in his armchair.

It's starting to get pretty cold over here - I suspect that we will need to start using the heating at home soon. I'm actually a bit scared to do so because I'm worried that I might somehow blow the place up. After all, we seem to have slightly dodgy wiring and there are about 12 heating units scattered about the place. Not exactly a good combination!

Thankfully the school is going to send someone over to help us with the heaters when we are ready - which means that I won't be the person standing closest to the explosion when things go bad. Yay!!

- Amanda

3 comments:

  1. Oh the ironies of life! I couldn't help but laugh when I read your post (great friend, I know) :) And I seriously hope you weren't serious when you said you sobeed yourself to sleep! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. The even greater irony: I'm reading your post whilst sitting in a jury pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe, geez I'm so lucky to have such great friends!!

    Oh, and I found out that I can only defer jury duty for 12 months....very sad.

    ReplyDelete