Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Poetry

Today we had a relaxing day at home.  I was working on my assignment and Amanda was web junking and playing computer games. It's been a good, relaxing day.  Which is why it will be more upsetting when I have to yell at the Grade 3s at school tomorrow.  They don't know what's coming to them.

It is a tradition in Hungary for the boys to go around the town and visit all the girls.  They go from house to house and sprinkle the girls with perfume and then say a short poem.  The boys are then fed cakes and small treats.

Knowing that we were going to Ili's house today, I asked the Grade 3s the teach me a rhyme.  After some discussion and laughter they taught me the following:

Zöld a moha
Zöld a páfrány
Meglocsollak
Házisárkány

It's simple, relatively easy to say and and pretty short.  It was so good that I got them to write it down for me. Unfortunately, when I said it to Ili today, her family burst out laughing.  Apparently it translates as:

Green moss
Green fern
I will sprinkle the
House Dragon

Which basically means that I'm calling Ili a stubborn old dragon.  Her husband agreed with a big smile and a laugh.

Ili might be displaying her dragon-like qualities to the Grade 3s tomorrow, methinks.

- Daniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment