Sunday, February 19, 2012

Charity Ball 2012


So last night we went to the 2012 Charity Ball at our school.  It was quite different to last year when our Grade 1, 2 and 3 kids sang songs, acted out a performance and generally entertained the audience. This year Sanyi, our principal, didn't want the lower classes to do this because a lot of parents turned up simply to see the kids perform and then went home without actually donating anything to the night. Really, we were lucky to have a Ball at all this year as there have been extensive cutbacks to the school's budget. I think it got so bad they were thinking that they wouldn't be able to afford the upfront costs, even if they made a profit on the night.  I'm not sure of the details.

Anyway instead of the children performing, my citera group played a few songs and Amanda and I joined a choir with some of the other teachers and parents. We sang a few Hungarian songs then we led a rousing rendition of Waltzing Matilda. I'd mentioned this song to my citera teacher a few months ago after he asked me about Australian folk songs. He has since looked it up on YouTube and fallen in love with it, so when we had the opportunity to sing with the choir he quickly organised to add it to the list of songs.

After our little performances, we had dinner, a couple of drinks and then a raffle at the end of the night. Amanda and I snuck out at 2am much to the disapproval of the other teachers who were settling in for more crazy karaoke, dancing and alcohol. Overall it was a good night!


- Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment