Thursday, September 22, 2011

Slow news day?

A few days ago I was leaving the house when I noticed a camera crew standing around on the footpath next door. At first I thought they were just taking a smoko, or waiting for some bigshot celebrity to turn up (yeah right!) but then I realised that the camera was already rolling...and that it seemed to be taking some wonderful footage of a powerpole being painted.

Hmmm. It seems that it was a very, very slow news day in Máriapócs.

Anyway, I didn't give it any further thought, but the very next day the camera crew was back taking yet more footage of the pole! So now I was pretty curious...I mean filming a pole being painted is one thing, but filming the application of a second coat on the same pole is just crazy. So after work, when the film crew had cleared off, I dragged Daniel and Iago out to look at the pole.

As you can see from the photo, it wasn't another coat of paint that had gotten everyone so excited on the second day, it was the appearance of three little M symbols. Apparently these markers are currently being painted on powerpoles all over northern Hungary and even into Romania. Their purpose is to assist pilgrims to make their way to Máriapócs for special religious events. It's a pretty massive project and it seems that the pole next to our house had the unique honour of being the first of many thousands to get the special markers.

I guess perhaps it wasn't such a slow news day afterall...

- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment