Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Happy name day to me!

Guess what? I just found out that today (October 26th) is my name day!

Some of my Grade 3 students burst into one of my classes this morning to share the exciting news and to present me with some lovely flowers. Then this afternoon, some of the kids from Grade 1 also gave me little gifts and celebratory drawings that they had made.

Names days are a pretty big deal in Hungary and are treated much like a second birthday.

According to a website I found, name days are a tradition of attaching personal names to each day of the year, and celebrating the association of particular days with those for whom that day is named. Name days originate from the Christian church calendar and the tradition of naming children after saints.

Boldog névnapot nekem!

- Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Wikipedia says that Oct 26th is the name day for Dömötör.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_days_in_Hungary
    I think you're making that up to get flowers!
    Névnap csalás!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help it if the kids want to make up excuses to give me flowers!

    I think that since Amanda is not a traditional Hungarian name, the name days in nearby countries are used as a reference - so if Amanda has a name day in Slovakia (for example) on October 26, Hungary will adopt the same day.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_days_in_Slovakia

    Tehát megy kibír egy almát a segged!

    ReplyDelete